"Just wanted to let you know what a positive and delightful experience my family and I had at the Blind Center on Wednesday. I am 91, have macular degeneration so am vision impaired. We went to your Center hoping to find an aid I could purchase. We had such a great personal service from Hy and were really surprised when he said if the item I chose was in stock that it would be free to me. What a nice surprise! I am so grateful to the Blind Center for this experience and the vision aid I received. Thank you SO much! I have found the vision aid to be very helpful--I truly am thankful and blessed! May God bless you and your staff for the wonderful work and service that you are doing for those of us who are vision impaired." —Virgina
Community Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CCBVI) has served thousands of people in San Joaquin County for more than 68 years. CCBVI's mission is to provide the means by which people who are visually impaired can improve and sustain their capabilities and potentials to re-establish purpose and self-esteem in their lives and in society.
To provide the information, tools, and resources that will empower and inspire people who are blind and visually impaired to achieve their full potential.
Elsie Hirata, M.B.A.
Case Manager / Volunteer Coordinator
Joni Bauer, M.S., Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist
Orientation & Mobility Specialist / Independent Living Skills Instructor
Hayim "Hy" Cohen, JAWS® certified, Ai Squared ZoomText Professional Certification, Accredited Dolphin Guide Trainer
Computer & Assistive Technology Instructor
Matthew Morgan, Ai Squared ZoomText Fusion Certification
Computer & Assistive Techology Instructor
Laurie Pattingale, B.A., Education Specialist, Visual Impairments and Mild/Moderate Disabilities
Board of Directors
- President: Judi A. Howell, Stockton Unified School District (Retired)
- Secretary: Shelia Patterson, Kaiser Permanente
- Treasurer: Roy Patterson, Business Owner (Retired)/Tracy Breakfast Lions Club
- Lance Calkins, City of Albany Fire Department
- Julian Cruz, Jr., BancWest
- Scott Fry, Stockton Unified School District
- Ellen McKeegan, Hakeem, Ellis & Marengo
- Daniel C. Nuss, University of the Pacific/Mayor's Task Force For Persons With Disabilities
- Alexandra Ottesen, Community Philanthropist
- William Ridley, Stockton Unified School District
- Edgar W. Case
- James R. Cox, Sr.
- Mimi Eberhardt
- William H. Reynolds